20 November 2018
Over the past two weeks the children have been talking about woodland animals and have impressed us with their understanding of what nocturnal and hibernation means. During our cooking session the children baked a Mount Carmel classic – hedgehog bread rolls – by kneading, rolling and snipping dough into little hedgehogs. The younger children didn’t miss out on the fun and made their own spikey pets out of play dough and spaghetti. Throughout the week there were lots more hedgehog themed arts and crafts using a range of different materials to cut, colour and stick.
Our Nativity rehearsals have been steaming ahead and both groups of preschool children are getting to grips with their lines and the songs. Tickets will be going on sale later on this week and there is no limit on how many tickets you are able to buy.
Some of you may not have been aware that the online application for state primary schools opened on the 7th November and closes on 15th January 2016. Mrs Federici has some top tips for those parents visiting schools at this time:
- Make sure you apply early so that your child’s name is on the top of the list.
- Don’t waste time visiting more than three schools. You are only likely to get a place if you live in the school’s catchment area.
- When you visit a school listen to your instincts. If you feel comfortable then your child will too.
- At the visit don’t ask too many questions. You will learn more if you listen and observe.
- Don’t worry too much about the fabric of the building – a school should look ‘lived in’.
- Finally remember that the greatest influence on your child’s future educational success is you, not the school. Providing a loving, stable and happy home will have the greatest impact on your child’s well being and long term achievement.
Christmas may have begun in some supermarkets as early as September, but with the big day only five weeks away we now commence our countdown to Christmas at the nursery. Already, the children have been busy preparing hand made Christmas cards and over the next week they will be learning some Christmas songs.